To identify the company with the most motivated employees, CNN and Fortune magazine annually conduct a joint survey involving 1,000 of the most prestigious corporations around the world.
For four years now, Google has been the undisputed leader in this ranking. The motivation of the staff at Google is the main reason why you look at this inscription every day after that, unprecedented measures were introduced to motivate employees, which allowed to radically change the situation.
The recipes for the success of the “Corporation of Good” are more than logical and consistent:
1. High salary – this is the basis on which the motivation of staff in Google. This is the basis of the whole system of staff motivation, and it must be really high. The monthly salary of ordinary employees of the company starts from $ 10,000, the salary of top managers is kept secret, but they are hardly offended. It is noteworthy that Google is the leader in the remuneration of its employees in Silicon Valley, but for this title, it has to compete with Microsoft, Apple, and other reputable companies.
2. Unique comfort in the workplace. And again, in these seemingly simple words, Google was able to make a completely unique meaning. Google’s offices are designed by the world’s best designers, and the development of the environment in each department takes into account not only general trends but also national preferences.
3. Only one thing is expected of Google employees – the result, and they can achieve it in any convenient way. Within the company it is quite possible to work in the recreation rooms, meetings can be held in hammocks on the roof of the building, and if desired, you can ride around the office on a skateboard. The motivation of staff at Google implies the absence of daily reporting and other stressors as such, but in the end, the employee must demonstrate the most important thing – the result.
4. Everyone sees your work. Employee motivation increases when everything is open. Google achieves this as follows: the results of your work are seen not only by superiors but also by colleagues.
5. The little things decide everything or why the motivation of Google’s staff is the most thoughtful in the world the quintessence of the company’s employee motivation system is their famous phrase “Google is, above all, people.”Gyms, hairdressers, relaxation centers, and other corporate facilities are available to keep staff in good shape. Interestingly, in recent years, the company has also introduced the practice of free meals – within a radius of 50 meters from the office, there is always a cafe or dining room, which serves employees for free.
Google’s staff motivation system also implies the availability of free medical care, and some departments even have separate clinics for this purpose. Of course, all costs for training, participation in specialized conferences, etc. are paid by the company. The motivation of staff in Google does not escape the attention of the family of employees – at the birth of a child is entitled to 2-month leave, and in case of death of the employee, his family will receive another 10 years of salary.
Is it possible to apply the motivation of Google staff to the realities of a regular company?
Of course, some of the steps described above are more than specific and require adequate financial capacity, but the main thing that motivates staff at Google is still the same simple phrase “Google is, above all, people.”
And how do you feel about your staff – are they a tool for you to make a profit or people whose resources can and should be disclosed?